Saturday, November 7, 2009

Hi. My name is Leah and I'm a bread addict.

I have a problem. I love bread way too much. I've started this bad habit of eating an entire baguette myself when I don't feel so good (you know.... a hang over). Its delicious because I put butter and a ton of garlic (because for someone reason I feel like it cancels the alcohol in my stomach) and then I shove it in the oven for a couple of minutes. Delectable. I think I just have a problem with food in general. Once I get it in my head that I want something, I have to have it and I'll eat it until its gone. If I'm busy then I don't think about it and that's ok, but man when I'm bored or when I think I need to eat, I go overboard. I guess that's my addiction, at least it could be worse.

On another note, I was out with a bunch of friends, American, French, Swiss... and we were talking about who spoke french the best. I have a better accent but my friend Raina can express herself better, which in the end is the more important. Then I tried to explain to my french friends that it isn't just in french that I have trouble. I cannot easily express myself in English either. They didn't really understand why someone would have trouble talking in their own language. I attribute it to my intense need to choose the exact right word that I want, and my fear of saying something I'll regret. I don't want to just blurt things out because every time I do, it is usually followed with "Wait! That's not what I meant!" Besides that, word choice for me is important. There is a lot to be said about words and their connotations. For example, in my opinion, angry is not the same as upset, though a lot of people would use them interchangeably. So it can be very irritating for the person who is listening to me, to wait for me to choose my words. In some ways I think it helps me here because other people that come here get frustrated that they can't express themselves like they can in English... but I'm used to it. They get frustrated because they can't tell jokes in French, so they can't be that class clown type of thing....but I'm used to it. That's why I've invested so much of my time in my facial expressions and physical comedy. Just kidding its all natural. It's funny being in a foreign country at this stage in life because I feel that it's at this age, when you really solidify who you are/ will be as an adult. Experiences like this make it infinitely more difficult but also way more fun.

Love Leah

1 comment: