Sunday, November 8, 2009

America the different

I heard that the house passed the health care reform bill. I'm happy about what is trying to happen. Obviously because I didn't have health insurance in the US. If anything happened to me I would be paying for it the rest of my life. Even if I had insurance, the kind that I could have afforded probably wouldn't have covered much. I know there are consequences of this bill, like the rising deficit, and people like my parents paying higher taxes. But Mom, Dad, wouldn't you rather pay a little more in taxes then worry about paying off my medical bills? I don't know, but I am very curious to see what happens. I know you work hard for your money and you want to keep it. But at this point in history, I think it is important to take care of each other. A lot of things are changing and a lot of bad things are happening to people that we may not know but does that mean we shouldn't care about them? It will be hard to get used to this idea of universal health care. I refuse to believe that it will be the end of America as we know it. People that say that are just afraid of change. We are the only developed nation with privatized health care... doesn't that say anything. I think it says we are selfish, ego centric and most of all, shortsighted. It's hard to take a leap of faith like this but I think it could be really good, I urge everyone to have a little confidence in change.

I am however really curious to see what America is like when I get back. I think a lot of things will be different and that is ok with me.

I'm listening to Chuck Fleming an Austin artist. Look him up on myspace, it'll put you in a great mood.

Love Leah

1 comment: