Friday, October 16, 2009

Kick the Tires and Light the Fires.

Well this is probably the last thing I thought I would ever see in this slightly sleepy town of Orléans. I didn't even know about it beforehand. Usually when the frenchies are planning a strike they let everyone know in advance. They are so polite about their complaining. Anyway, I left for school at 7:30 and it is 30 minutes away. I was there until about 12:30 and on the way home my teacher lady (who will be referred to as Simone from now on) was talking about how the farmers were doing a demonstration today. I was thinking "Oh ok banners, marching, yelling whatever." WRONG! They set tires on fire! It smelled awful and I'm almost positive I'm going to develop cancer from it. The most hilarious thing was seeing people watch the events, in the midst of burning rubber smoke, sucking on a cigarette. As if the black cloud of smoke hovering about you isn't enough. Ha. Anyway I wrapped my trusty scarf around my face and trudged on, trying to capture the mayhem that was downtown Orléans. I'm not entirely sure what they were asking for but I know they are pissed at Sarkozy. I think they are mad that the supermarkets can charge whatever they want to the public, but the farmers aren't allowed to charge over a certain price. So they can't make more money even if the supermarkets decide to raise their prices. I'm really just speculating. I still don't really get the vegetable dumping. How does that help them? It helped me, I got free lunch out of it.... Yeah, thats right, I rummaged and scrounged like a homeless person. But hey, I'm broke and everyone was doing it. So yeah, I can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow. Sweet.



Thats all folks,
Leah

------------
Side note... the next day it looked like nothing happened. So yeah maybe their taxes are high, but their streets sure are clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment