Friday, January 1, 2010

Sparkles

Its funny how communication works. I was talking to a friend, who is french, about being a translator. I said some people can perfectly translate words but that is useless if they don't know the culture. For example, the word for suburb in french is banlieue. But for an American when you say suburb they think of pretty white house all in a row with lawns and happiness. When you say banlieue to a french person (this is the exact translation) they think of the ghetto because in France the poorer socio-economic level lives outside of the city center which is the opposite of the states. So even though the word translates the meaning is different.

I think for my New Year's resolution I will be more careful about how I communicate with others.

Bonne Année
Love Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment