Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Les Élèves

Today I went to one of the schools for the first time. I work at two and this one happens to be in the country. The town is tiny and feuled only by a sugar beet factory nearby which employs over half the village in various ways. The school was also tiny and the kids were adorable. When she introduced me, she said this is Leah the American assistant. They couldn't believe I was american. They kept asking me if I was really from america and if I came in an airplane. They were around 11 and 12. But I'm really going to be working with 13 and 14 year olds. But they were soooo cute. And they had a hard time understanding my accent because their English teacher is french and they learn british english. So if I asked "Do you have any brothers or sisters?" They didn't understand I had to ask "Have you got any brothers or sisters?" And I asked what their favorite food was and they had no idea what I was saying. Haha. But I think with the older ones it will be better. The teacher that I was sitting in on was a little bit weird about my speaking American english and she said that I still had to teach them british english so I don't confuse them.... but I'm still going to say pants instead of trousers and I refuse to spell color and favorite with a u. So there.

Can't wait to go to the second school which is more "urban" if you know what I mean. Good luck to me!

Love Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment